Historic Buildings of Downtown Buckeye
Buckeye Women’s Club
Built Circa 1935
The first meetings for the Buckeye Women’s Club were held at the members homes. As membership grew, the club relocated their meetings to the Old County Building which housed the prision and library.
Unfortunately, the prisoners were loud and frightened some of the women. This inspired the group to own their own clubhouse. Thankfully, Mrs. L.A. DeRosier donated land where the clubhouse now sits On June 6, 1935 a thankful Buckeye Woman’s Club met for a pot luck dinner in their new clubhouse for the first time.
The Old Court House Building
Built Circa 1912
Also known as the Old Courthouse & Jail, this small structure once housed Buckeye’s public library, hosted some of the first Women’s Club meetings, served as a food bank and offered a home away from home for local criminals. Today, it still stands waiting for the next chapter in it’s life.
The Buckeye Ice Company Building
Built Circa 1926
Once known as the “coolest” place in Downtown Buckeye, the Buckeye Ice Company supplied artificial ice to Buckeye residents for 5 decades before modern refridgeration forced demand to dwindle. During the 1960’s and 70’s, the building doubled as a local Meat Locker and offered housing to the business owners and their families in three apartment upstairs.
The Buckeye Tin Shop Building
Built Circa 1900’s
From tin shop, to grocery, bath house, audio shop, and burger joint, this hundred year old building has seen alot of changes in Historic Downtown Buckeye throughout the years. Today is hosts an assortment of vintage and handmade goodies to bring some of Historic Downtown Buckeye charm back to your home.
The Palm’s Cafe & Bar
Built Circa 1930
Built during the Great Depression, this beautiful brick building located just to the East of the Joslin Building, was once the home of the Palm’s Cafe & Bar. Today, the building continues to serve up delicious homestyle food and specialty coffee to Buckeye residents and visitors.
The Joslin Building
Built Circa 1909
Built by Wallace Joslin, the Joslin Building has also been known as the 3H Mercantile and the home of the San Linda Hotel. Like many buildings in downtown Buckeye, the Joslin has transformed with some frequency throughout the years.
Aside from a hotel, the building is said to have been a speakeasy during Prohibition, a pharmacy, a grocery and even a dance hall. Today she beacons for someone to transform her again.
The Buckeye Valley Bank Building
Built Circa 1929
Founded by Buckeye’s first mayor, Hugh Miller Watson Sr., the Buckeye Valley bank served as the financial institution for the town of Buckeye for decades. Much of the facade has changed over the years. Today, the stone exterior is clad in stucco masking it’s former beauty.
Currently Home to:
The Ware Building
Built Circa 1910
Formerly the home of the Buckeye Valley Bank, the Buckeye Valley Chamber of Commerce & Buckeye Restaurant, The Ware Building has worn many hats in it’s century old existance. Today, the building offers retail space for those looking to sell their wares in Historic Downtown Buckeye, Arizona.